in Tales of the South Sea Islands.
that medical facilities should be available throughout the Island
and to this end a medical school should be opened. The Colombo
Medical School was thus opened by the then Governor Sir
Hercule Robinson. Dr.James Loos was appointed its first principal.
Mudaliyar Samson Rajapakse - 1875
Gifted the land of the present site.
|Mudaliyar Samson Rajapakse.|
A.Simon Fernando Wijegooneratne and
Mudaliyar Vimala Gunawardana donated the
block, built in 1913, is the oldest building
Sir Charles Henry de Soysa built and donated
the De Soysa Lying-In-Home, and his uncle
Mudaliyar Susew de Soysa built and donated the
‘Medical Museum’ attached to the Medical
College. These two institutions were declared
open by the Governor Sir Robert Longdon on
December 9, 1879.
Dr. James Loos – Was appointed the First
Principal of the Colombo Medical School in
Johannes Jacobus (James) Loos. M. D. of
St. Andrew's University in 1866, was
Member of the Royal College of
Physicians of Edinburgh.
In 1867, he was appointed Colonial
Medical Department, Ceylon. Appointed
first Principal of the
Ceylon Medical College in 1870.
|The Koch memorial clock tower at Kynsey road.|
Dr. J L Vanderstraaten Md (St.
Andrews), MRCP Lond., LSA
Lond., LECS, LM Edin.,Fellow of
the Chemical, Medical and
Obstetric Societies, London
succeeded Dr. Koch as Principal in 1877.
He edited the 'Ceylon Medic-Chirurgical
Journal' 1865 - 1867.
Dr.Kynsey – 1875 - 1897
First female medical students
Dr.Rachel Christofelz and her car in 1924-1926
Dr.SC Paul Surgeon
Returning to Ceylon in 1910 he was appointed as Third Surgeon at the General Hospital Colombo.
Salary as Surgeon GH Colombo was Rs.750/- a month.
Septicemia following injury to a finger while operating. – nearly died.
Subsequently developed a ‘frozen shoulder’.
Going on to be a senior surgeon and a lecturer at the Ceylon Medical College, he retired in 1935, yet worked as a consultant surgeon.
Retired early at 55 years - 1935.
He was awrded the honour of a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1942 and a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George in 1950 for his services for medicine.
He was life long member of the British Medical Association, he was the president of the Ceylon's Branch from 1940 to 1946.
Gave a lecture to our batch of 1960 entrants in 1961, in the then New Anatomy lecture theater which is no more.
He interacted with the Veddhas and was known by them as 'Sudu Hura' - White chief.
The books he wrote :-Novels
Wild White Boy
Where the White Sambhur
Brave Island (1966)
Leaves of the Jungle.